Before we understand how to create content for graphic design, let us first understand the meaning of “graphics” and “content.”
“Graphics” are visual representations of any object. They can be created using specialized software and are an important medium for communicating marketing messages. They are crucial to any overall marketing strategy, including content strategy.
“Content” is the written material that allows the customer to learn about the brand, engage with it and purchase it.
Content is the real deciding factor for a successful digital/online interface. It provides information, and customers visit websites or social media for information that helps them decide for or against a brand in their consideration.
Graphic design is a communication method that allows a brand to convey a message using visual elements and text. It is a mix of written material, the user experience (UX), and accessibility, which combine to make it easier for the consumer to take suitable action.
Graphic design combines images and text to provide an interactive engagement. Good graphic design is a continuous process influencing the target audience’s thought processes, purchase behavior, and decisions.
There are six different types of graphic design:
○ Visual identity covers the company’s branding
○ Logos, images, and color palettes are the elements of visual identity
○ Graphic design promotes audience awareness and engagement
○ Using images, text, and UX properly goes a long way in convincing potential customers that the brand they are considering is the ideal solution for them.
○ This is a critical part of the marketing mix for any brand or product
○ Good graphic design can create memorable packaging that differentiates the brand from competitors.
○ App or website graphics that help users navigate easily are essential in today’s hyper-digitalized world.
○ The elements here are mainly on-screen elements.
○ Also known as animation design, this graphic design is used mainly for GIFs and videos.
○ This is the design of printed material such as books, newsletters, reports, white papers, etc.
○ Unlike other forms of graphic design, the content is of primary importance in publication design, with graphic supporting its readability.
Images without text are just pictures; text without graphics can be difficult to read or understand. Therefore, graphic design services should work in tandem with content design to provide a user-friendly, pleasing, and engaging interaction with the brand.
The following are key reasons why content is essential in graphic design:
○ Graphics draw attention immediately to the brand
○ Content sustains this attention over time
○ SEO-optimized content with relevant keywords will ensure that the brand features higher up in search engine rankings.
○ This makes it easier for the brand to enter the consumer’s consideration set.
○ Audience-relevant content will always drive better sales
○ The design and content must match the market and target audience expectations strongly enough to convince customers to buy the product.
○ Powerful and well-crafted designs enhance the appeal of the content, so much so that the content itself becomes the brand.
Graphic design is an ecosystem that makes the brand appealing to customers. Content needs to complement the design elements in the ecosystem. The following principles are essential for creating content for graphic design:
○ Any marketing effort addresses or solves a pain point or marketing problem.
○ Graphic design is meant to support the marketing efforts by presenting the brand in a useful and easily accessible manner.
○ The content in the graphic design strategy should therefore have a clear objective.
○ The content is part of the overall graphic design influencing the customer’s behavior and purchase journey.
○ The content must be relevant enough to the customer to engage enough to learn more about the brand after the initial interest triggered by the graphic.
○ The content format is vital to engage and retain the customer.
○ Aspects such as language skills and reading issues can determine the customer’s interest in engaging with the brand content.
○ Visuals, diagrams, and other visual aids can make the content easier to understand.
○ Easy and simple language is the best way to engage customers.
○ Complicated words, jargon, or confusing text will only demotivate customers and drive them away from the brand.
○ Calls to action should be clear and easy to follow.
○ Website visitors spend a few seconds on any given website before moving on to other sites.
○ The content should always be relevant and concise.
○ The content must be relevant to the customer.
○ Content relevance goes a long way in “humanizing” the brand and makes it easier for customers to engage with.
○ A good graphic design strategy makes the entire content – text, layout, typefaces, color, and flow – relevant and useful to the customer.
○ Graphic design is not a finite process.
○ Content optimization is integral to a successful graphic design process and needs to be constantly evaluated, adapted, changed, or refreshed.
There are three essential types of content in graphic design:
○ Graphic design connects the customer emotionally to the brand.
○ Strong content helps convert the “potential customer” into an “active customer” by highlighting a clear call to action, which can be represented visually.
○ This improves the overall customer experience and motivates the customer to advocate the brand to others.
○ Statistics and data presented in text can be boring or not valuable for a customer.
○ Graphics that convert numbers and data into interesting visuals are 90% more likely to be understood by the customer.
○ Infographics also make the brand seem more influential and convincing.
○ Most brands or companies have blogs to present regular, high-level content to their audiences.
○ A combination of good design, layout, and engaging content will determine if the blog reader continues to read the post or not.
Strong and relevant graphic design content helps a company connect with its customers in a long-lasting relationship and helps build better brand equity. A well-developed graphic design strategy that combines strong visuals and relevant content will considerably enhance the audience’s experience with the brand.
Visual representations of any object are called graphics.
Written material on a digital platform is considered to be content.
A communication method that allows a brand to convey a message using visual elements and text is graphic design.
○ Calls to Action
○ Blog post graphics