Table of Contents How Social Media Can Help Small Businesses The Need for Social Media For Small Businesses How to Create a Social Media Strategy for Small Businesses Key Takeaways Conclusion FAQs The last decade saw exponential growth in the use of social media worldwide. The latest statistics show that social media users stand at… Continue reading An Essential Guide to Social Media For Small Businesses
Table of Contents
- How Social Media Can Help Small Businesses
- The Need for Social Media For Small Businesses
- How to Create a Social Media Strategy for Small Businesses
- Key Takeaways
The last decade saw exponential growth in the use of social media worldwide. The latest statistics show that social media users stand at 4.20 billion, about 53.6% of the total population. India alone has 448 million active social media users.
As people today are spending more time on social media apps, it has become one of the most valuable assets for businesses of all sizes. But in this blog, we will only discuss social media marketing for small businesses.
Small businesses can use social media to find, connect and engage with their audience. Social media can be an effective platform for interacting with customers to increase brand recognition and generate leads for small businesses. If done right, it can increase your presence and shoot your sales graph in a short time.
How Social Media Can Help Small Businesses
First, you must know what social media marketing means. Using social media platforms to promote your business and its products or services is known as social media marketing. This kind of marketing helps businesses build stronger customer relationships, increase reach, and even develop an authentic and strong brand image.
With the challenging times coming along with COVID-19, there have been significant reductions in the finances of small businesses. But even with a low budget, social media can help you achieve big goals. According to a survey by Dun & Bradstreet, “…more than 82% of small businesses had a negative COVID impact…”
Some of the benefits of social media marketing can be listed as:
- It is low cost but is more effective in marketing and advertising. This lets you run flexible campaigns to reach your audience and generate more leads.
- It helps you segment and target your customer based on different demographics (i.e., age, location, gender, etc.). This can be done with the help of various analytical tools and surveys.
- Offers options to better engage with your customer through various posts, events, groups, etc.
- Social media is one of the most preferred customer-service tools. It helps you respond to queries, issues, and feedback.
The Need for Social Media For Small Businesses
A social media marketing strategy is like your plan of action. It will guide you on what you’ll post, the social media platforms you will use, and define your measurable goals. A well-planned and well-executed social media strategy can increase brand awareness, expand your customer base, and increase sales and revenue.
For instance, at FreshMenu, their approach was to plan and execute digital marketing campaigns to promote their brand.
They keep their audience engaged by offering fascinating articles about food origins. To attract more customers, they hold frequent contests and provide coupons.
How to Create a Social Media Strategy for Small Businesses
Below is a guide on creating and executing good digital marketing strategies.
1. Set measurable goals
All these steps might seem intimidating, but things will fall in place as you move from one step to another. So, you should start by setting your goals; what do you want to do with your social media? Is it driving sales, traffic, building a brand image, etc.?
Selecting the right goals can help you track your progress and determine which campaigns are more effective.
The right goal is,
- Well defined and relevant
2. Identify and choose the right social media platforms
Every social media platform is different with its pros and cons. So you must match your needs and target audiences with various social media platforms’ attributes. This will help you choose the most relevant platform for your small business to kick-start with. And with time, you can expand your presence on other platforms, too.
The following list of top 3 social media sites will help you identify the best-suited platform for your business:
Instagram, the most visually appealing social media network, has the third-largest user base. The monthly-active-users count of Instagram stands at 1 billion. With posts and stories, you can plan your Instagram presence to concentrate on your company goals and the desires of your audience.
Instagram is ideal for you if your goal is
- To exhibit your products or services in action.
- To target a huge customer base, especially millennials and Gen Z.
- To sell products and build brand image.
- To grow a fan base for your brand.
Content to post: Stories, Pictures, Videos, and Carousels.
Bonus tip: Instagram has a unique and effective feature called User Generated Content (UGC). You can use Instagram to generate and share organic user-generated content (UGC) related to your products or services.
With 2.6 billion monthly active users, Facebook is the most popular social media platform globally, so prioritizing it is a no-brainer.
As a small business, you want to be able to run accurately targeted marketing campaigns on whatever budget you decide, and Facebook advertising allows you to do that. If people like your Facebook page, they’re probably interested in receiving updates from you.
Facebook is ideal for you if your goal is
- To target millennials or older generations.
- Include lead generation or conversion mainly.
- To target as many individuals as possible or a very focused niche audience.
Content to post: Facebook advertisements, images, and videos. Varying content regularly keeps the audience engaged.
Bonus Tip: Stay casual and friendly, but make sure you provide value to the audience.
Twitter is a huge network of people and businesses communicating in a smooth and fast-paced setting. It is one of the most widely used social media platforms for news, with a global user base of 187 million daily users. Twitter’s brief content section is a fantastic place to promote your business.
Instagram is ideal for you if your goal is
- To target Gen Z or millennials
- To increase brand awareness and stronger customer relationships
- To target people with higher levels of income and education.
Content to post: Interactive but brief tweets and eye-catching images and videos.
Bonus tip: Keep it light and engage – a lot!
3. Create and schedule your posts
In social media marketing, consistency is the key. Consider your social media profiles as extensions of your company’s voice, values, and personality. Make your brand’s identity a part of your digital marketing rules and let each post reflect your unique identity.
You should plan posts ahead of time (at least a week ahead of time) to keep your brand active on social media.
You’re almost ready to get started now that you have all the knowledge you need to create a social media marketing plan.
But ensure you’re regularly tracking your performance by creating customized reports that showcase the most important metrics to you (depending on your goals). To assess which type of content works, analyze metrics like organic reach, click-throughs, and follower demographics.
- Social media users stand at 4.20 billion, about 53.6% of the total population. India alone has 448 million active social media users.
- Using social media platforms to promote your business and its products or services is known as social media marketing.
- A well-planned and well-executed social media strategy can increase brand awareness, expand your customer base, and increase sales and revenue.
- Selecting the right goals can help you track your progress and determine which campaigns are more effective.
- In social media marketing, consistency is the key.
Social media marketing for small businesses is not difficult. You need to make a plan and start posting, tweeting, uploading, and sharing. This will add value to your audience and nurture their brand affinity.
Within a short time, they will start following you and become a member of your fan club. And with a bit of effort, you can easily convert them into your customers and shoppers.
1. Identify your audience.
2. Engage with your audience.
3. Create a social content calendar.
4. Post your content at the right time.
5. Audit your social marketing efforts.
6. Create great infographics.
Social media is powerful for building brand awareness. Social media attracts new customers, offers a platform to your current customers to promote your brand to their connections.
Social media marketing uses social media and social networks for marketing a company’s products and services. It is a way to engage with existing customers and reach new ones.
1. Social networks
2. Social news
4. Bookmarking sites
5. Media sharing
6. Community blogs
Digital marketing is ideal for people who are creative and analytical. It is a bonus if you are good with numbers since digital marketing includes data analysis and statistics.