Table of Contents
- What Is Medium?
- How to Optimize Medium for Content Distribution
- Key Takeaways
With numerous websites being created every day, it seems like an arduous task even for a mind-boggling post to make it through the content journey. Your website or blog is like a little drop in the digital ocean. To make your content reach a wider audience, you need to rely on other popular websites while deploying a concrete content distribution strategy. Besides writing SEO-based content, you are required to repurpose old content, incorporate social media marketing, pursue guest blogging, and more. One of the best content publication platforms that can be used for content distribution sans any extra alteration is Medium. Before you conclude how to optimize Medium to reach out to your audience, let’s get to know the platform better.
What Is Medium?
Medium is a powerful platform with a hungry audience that is always eager to read some brilliant content. You can join the platform to publish articles for free, and browse or subscribe to your favorite authors. As every reader here gets suggestions on who and what to read based on their interest and browsing history, Medium comes with a ready audience base for content publishers. Now, what more can you ask for! An abode for voracious readers, it’s a perfect platform to amplify your content visibility.
If you are reading this blog, chances are you want to figure out how to drive traffic to your website or looking for tips to improve content engagement. A good suggestion is to use Medium only to republish your old content, not as a primary publication platform; and let people visit your original blog to find what more you have to offer other than that one creative piece they stumbled across on this blogging platform.
How to Optimize Medium for Content Distribution
Would you like your content to fetch millions of eyeballs? Let’s scroll through some tips to improve content visibility via Medium while leveraging its existing audience.
Import your content on Medium
To leverage Medium for content distribution, you need to syndicate your already-published content on the platform. As you do this, the blogging platform signals Google that it has permission to republish your content, and consequently, your SEO would not take a hit. Moreover, you get a backlink to the original article, which ensures more visitors to your website.
Here are a few steps to import your content:
- Create your profile
- Go to your account, and click on “Stories” from the dropdown menu
- Click on the “Import a Story” tab
- Copy the link to your published content and import it on Medium
And voila! You are ready to grab the attention of a huge section of people in a short span of time. If you import an article, Medium provides a canonical link to let search engines index your original blog instead of the one published on the platform.
Syndicate your content on other Medium blogs
To expand the reach of your content, you may allow third-party publications to syndicate your content on Medium. You can look for some publications in your desired industry on the platform. See if they are a good fit for your brand and have a decent reach, and let them bring some more leads your way. This is probably one of the best tips to improve content engagement while keeping all your original content on the website and leveraging Medium’s reach at the same time.
If you want to score brownie points on Medium, it is recommended to publish on a regular basis. Once you start posting interesting content regularly, it would not only improve your writing skills, but you may also garner a couple of thousand followers in no time. And thus, your every next post is exposed to a wider audience. And for all you know, posting great content regularly could even fetch you a book deal with a publisher as well!
Promote your content
Apart from the above-mentioned Medium optimization tips, you should also make use of relevant tags (which function like hashtags) in or towards the end of a story. However, if you want to take your content marketing efforts up a notch, then try to get featured in a relevant publication with thousands of readers.
- You have come to Medium to drive traffic to your website; hence, it is recommended to keep all the backlinks going to your original website rather than to the content republished on Medium.
- While Medium can fetch you some great deals, don’t let it distract you from your goal. If you are here to increase the visibility of your blog, then use Medium primarily as a content distribution platform.
- Try to focus on your personal blog first. Medium demands commitment. If time is a constraint and you are not able to serve your Medium users, then it is advisable to repurpose your content for the blogging platform rather than trying to build another audience here.
- Medium allows you to repurpose or republish your content for better reach. In case your published post does not receive a great number of views, you can choose to delete and republish it after polishing the content. It’s possible that a blog that didn’t work well last time may turn out well the next time.
- Do not forget to use tags in your stories. It can get you some claps and attention from readers that you might miss otherwise.
Medium is an incredible platform for writers and bloggers to reach out to the masses. Its audience gives you an opportunity to distribute your content extensively, which you might not be able to via your original website. We hope this article on how to optimize Medium for content distribution will help you get your content wider reach.
Here are a few tips that can help you market your content on Medium effectively:
– Try to post content on a regular basis.
– Work with other Medium publications to get more exposure.
– Republish your underperforming posts to bring them to the audience’s attention.
– Advertise your content to give it a little push.
Medium provides publishers robust metrics:
– Number of visitors
– Number of followers
– Readers’ interest
– Views by traffic source
– Internal and external views
Though it’s not necessary to sync your social media accounts, doing so may attract your social media followers on Medium and eventually bring them to your website as well.
If you import your story as suggested in this blog, you won’t be penalized by Google. If you import a story on Medium, it adds a canonical link to protect your original content and boost your SEO value.