Table of Contents
- 10 Tips on How to Create a Graphic Design Portfolio
- Key Takeaways
The graphic designing domain is more competitive than ever. There are endless creators in the market who are willing to produce high-quality and engaging graphics at highly competitive prices. This is why you need to make your work stand out with a graphic design portfolio.
Whether you are new to the industry or have been working for years, an appealing portfolio is a must for you. Only a professional portfolio highlighting all your work qualities can bring you new clients and business. With a set of the right graphic design portfolio examples and tips, showcase your capabilities.
So without wasting any time, let’s get started with the best tips to make your portfolio.
10 Tips on How to Create a Graphic Design Portfolio
1. Make the work intent clear
The type of work you want should form the basis of your portfolio. Once you are sure about it, showcase your talent in your chosen area. Search for graphic design portfolio examples in your chosen niche. For example, if you want to do more art and illustration work, try to showcase samples that reflect your expertise.
2. Keep it easy to understand and navigate
Sometimes, creators end up making things complicated just to make their portfolio stand out. It can turn out to be a big mistake. If your portfolio is challenging to navigate and understand, it can leave your viewers irritated. So, focus on giving a valuable experience to the viewers. Start by keeping things simple and your portfolio easy to navigate.
A simple layout always makes content and visuals stand out. When done, you are free to showcase your best work.
3. Filter out unappealing samples
Although filtering is an obvious thing to do, it is still not usually considered. So make sure to only showcase your best works in your portfolio. Take time to shortlist the samples that are appealing and showcase them all. Remember, it is okay to show less of your work than showing more average samples in your portfolio.
Never start with work you did years ago to show your progress. Use written content to show your potential. But for work samples showcase only your best work.
4. Prioritizing the projects you are most proud of
There are times when you struggle to know how to build a graphic design portfolio and make a lasting impression on the viewers. The best way to do it is by using the potential of your best works. Here you need to strategize the placement of your creations in the portfolio. Begin and end with your most impressive work. This is the best thing you can do to keep them hooked.
5. Make them ask for more
It is important to show your best work in your portfolio. You still need to make sure your viewers remain fascinated to ask for more. So give them a hint of your potential while keeping them entertained to watch your works.
The best thing to do here is to showcase a spectacular graphic design. Then you should mention your specialization in that area. This way, your viewers can develop a high regard for you and want to work with you.
6. It all centers on an online portfolio
In this technology-equipped world, an online portfolio is a must-have. Today, every business has an online presence, and there is no reason why you shouldn’t have one. So begin by choosing a platform that can help you create an online portfolio. Else, you can also get your own portfolio website created by a developer to personalize it the way you want. You can even make use of WordPress.com or Weebly to make your portfolio website on your own.
7. Mirror your passion
Your clients or employer will be more interested in what skills come naturally to you. They evaluate your skills from the professional work you have done. But they will be far more influenced when they see your passion for the work you do.
To show your passion and interest, you can always display your most passionate creations. It can also help you raise your own voice and express creativity at its full potential.
8. Showcase how you make it work
This is an important component of a freelance graphic designer portfolio. Sometimes showing how you work is as important as the final output. So that the client knows and understands how much effort goes into making a design.
This not just makes them value your work but highlights your efforts that go into making even the simplest pieces.
9. Choose the right format
When it comes to showcasing your work to the client, you can choose anything from an iPad, a portfolio website or PDF printed on paper. But there is no sense in printing digital works to show your skills. The better way would be to take along your iPad to showcase your portfolio in the best format. A website is also highly recommended.
10. Write down your story
In the end, try to add your story to your portfolio. This is a great way to show your credibility and dedication to your clients. When they know who you are and what your story is, they will definitely feel connected with you.
- Showcase samples for the type of projects you want: The primary motive of creating a portfolio is to get work projects. This makes it important to show your work experience in that particular field. So start by showcasing relevant work samples for it and also use the potential of written text to present your work skills.
- Choose a simple theme to highlight your work: Designers sometimes make the mistake of making things complicated just to make them look unique. So, don’t be that designer and make sure to choose a simple and elegant theme for your portfolio. Once selected, you can fill it up with your samples to display work perfection.
- Show only your best work: Your portfolio does not need to show everything you have done in the past five years. The main motive of your portfolio is to gain the interest of potential clients and employers. So, show them the best you have done so far in your career. They will come for more.
- Let them know about the process: The person on the other end will never know the total effort and time invested in creating a design until they know the technicalities. So make them understand it all to get the value for your work. To do that, you can showcase your workings and or even create a time-lapse video. Just put it all together and include it in your portfolio.
- Narrate your work story: Last but not least, let your viewers know your story. Let them know the struggle that bought you success. Make them read about the efforts which made you who you are. Make them feel inspired by and connected to you.
Whether you want to make a freelance graphic designer portfolio or want to showcase your skills for a job, you need to invest in the potential of an appealing portfolio. All it needs is your time and passion for the work you do. So go ahead and make it happen. Use the above tips to your best potential, and the results will follow.
To create a design portfolio, start by choosing a format and a template for your portfolio. Choose what best suits your audience type. Next, you need to pick your best works to showcase in your portfolio. Finally, you need to include all your creative works in your portfolio and make it ready to present to your audience.
It’s always good to look for some good examples to take inspiration from. To find some good portfolio examples, you can always switch to Google, the search engine giant and search for the best portfolio examples to find the best ones on the web.
For designers with no prior experience, it is good to first create a few work samples that show your skills and abilities. Doing this will bring you some work to show to your prospective clients and employers. So if you are a designer with no prior experience, start by creating some samples and then make a portfolio website.
If you are someone with no technical experience, you can always use CMS platforms such as wordpress.com, Jimdo, Weebly and more. These platforms are easy to use and allow you to create a design portfolio for free. If you are looking for a highly customizable website with plenty of design options, you can always choose a website developer for it.
A freelance design portfolio can be your first step in gaining projects if you are a fresher. You can always start with free portfolio options and showcase your abilities and talent. This is one way to impress clients and encourage them to hire you.
A design portfolio is the face of your work experience and skills. It becomes tricky to convince clients about your work experience and expertise without a design portfolio. So better make one to watch projects coming in.