Popular CMS (content management systems) platforms are used by businesses of all sizes and industries, including e-commerce sites, news organizations, and government agencies, to streamline their content creation and management processes, improve collaboration among teams, and enhance the overall customer experience.
There are hundreds of CMS platforms available, but not all are created equally. Some offer more functionality and flexibility than others, and some are easier to use than others. In this blog, we will look at the ten most popular CMS platforms in 2023.
The 9 Most Popular Open-Source CMS Platforms In 2023
WordPress is undoubtedly one of the most popular CMS platforms in the world, powering around 40% of all websites. It’s free and open-source software that is easy to install and use.
- User-friendly interface: WordPress has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for anyone to create and manage a website.
- Customizable designs: WordPress offers thousands of free and paid themes that you can use to customize the look and feel of your website.
- SEO-friendly: WordPress is designed with SEO in mind, and it has features that make it easy to optimize your content for search engines.
Drupal is another open-source CMS platform that has been around for more than two decades. It’s highly customizable, with thousands of modules and themes available to add functionality and design options.
- Flexibility: Drupal is highly flexible and can be used to build a wide range of websites and web applications, including blogs, corporate websites, social networks, e-commerce sites, and more.
- Customization: Drupal has a modular architecture that allows developers to easily customize and extend the functionality of the system.
- Content management: Drupal has powerful content management capabilities, including the ability to create and manage content types, taxonomy, and user roles and permissions.
- SEO-friendly: Drupal has a range of built-in SEO features that make it easy to optimize your website for search engines.
Joomla is a free and open-source CMS platform that is popular among small businesses and non-profit organizations. It is easy to install and use, with a user-friendly interface that allows users to manage their website content and design.
- User-friendly interface: Joomla has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy for users to create and manage their website content.
- Content management: Joomla allows users to create and manage different types of content, including articles, blogs, videos, and images.
- Template system: Joomla has a flexible template system that allows users to customize the look and feel of their website with ease.
- SEO-friendly: Joomla is designed to be SEO-friendly, making it easier for websites to rank higher in search engine results pages.
Shopify is a popular CMS platform for e-commerce stores, powering around one million businesses. It is easy to use, with a range of templates and customization options available to create a unique and professional-looking online store.
- Storefront: Shopify provides customizable storefront themes to make the online store look appealing and professional.
- Payment processing: It supports a variety of payment methods, including credit cards, PayPal, and other payment gateways.
- Inventory management: Shopify has built-in inventory management tools to keep track of stock levels and notify the seller when inventory is low.
- Shipping and taxation: Shopify supports multiple shipping methods and allows sellers to set up their tax rules.
- Order management: It provides an intuitive dashboard to manage orders, shipping, and tracking information.
- Marketing and SEO: Shopify provides tools to optimize online stores for search engines and social media channels.
Wix is a cloud-based CMS platform that is popular among small businesses and individuals who want to create a simple website without needing coding skills. It’s easy to use, with a drag-and-drop interface that allows users to create a website quickly and easily.
- Drag-and-drop interface: Wix allows users to create websites using a simple drag-and-drop interface, which means you can easily add, edit, and move elements around on your web pages without needing any coding skills.
- Templates: Wix offers a wide range of pre-designed templates for different types of websites.
- SEO tools: Wix provides a range of built-in SEO tools to help you optimize your website for search engines.
- E-commerce: Wix offers e-commerce functionality, allowing you to create an online store and sell products directly from your website.
Squarespace is another popular cloud-based CMS platform that is suitable for creating a range of websites. It’s easy to use, with a drag-and-drop interface and a range of templates and customization options available.
- Templates: Squarespace offers a wide range of professionally designed templates that are mobile-responsive and customizable.
- Drag-and-drop editor: Squarespace’s drag-and-drop editor makes it easy to create and modify website content without requiring any coding knowledge.
- SEO: Squarespace includes a variety of SEO tools to help improve website visibility and search engine rankings.
Magento is a popular CMS platform for e-commerce stores, particularly those with a large inventory or complex product options. It’s an open-source platform that offers a range of features and customization options.
- Open-source: Magento is an open-source platform, which means that it is free to use, and users have access to the source code.
- Multi-store management: Magento allows users to manage multiple online stores from a single dashboard.
- Customization: Magento is highly customizable, making it a great choice for businesses.
- SEO-friendly: Magento is SEO-friendly and is designed to help online stores rank higher in search engine results.
Ghost is a popular open-source CMS that is designed for bloggers and publications. It is known for its simplicity, speed, and ease of use. It offers a simple and clean interface and many customization options for blog posts.
- Simple and user-friendly interface: Ghost provides a clean and easy-to-use interface, which makes it easy for users to create, edit, and publish blog posts.
- Custom themes: Ghost allows users to customize the look and feel of their blog by using custom themes.
- SEO optimization: Ghost has built-in SEO features, including support for meta descriptions, titles, and URLs, as well as the ability to add tags and categories to blog posts.
- Content scheduling: Ghost allows users to schedule their blog posts to be published at a specific time and date.
- Multi-language support: Ghost supports multiple languages, making it easy for users to create content in different languages.
Weebly is a website builder and content management system that allows users to create and manage websites without needing to know how to code. With Weebly, users can choose from a variety of templates and themes to customize the look and feel of their website.
- Easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface: Weebly’s drag-and-drop interface allows users to create web pages by simply dragging elements onto the page and positioning them where they want them.
- Templates: Weebly offers a variety of professionally designed templates that users can choose from, making it easy to create a website that looks great.
- Customization: Users can customize the templates to suit their needs by changing colors, fonts, and other design elements.
Pepper’s Content Marketing Platform
While Pepper’s CMP is not necessarily a CMS, it does have features of a content management system. Here are some of the key ones.
- Content creation: Pepper provides tools and resources for businesses to create high-quality content such as blog posts, videos, and social media content.
- Content distribution: Once the content is created, Pepper helps businesses distribute it through multiple channels such as email, social media, and other digital platforms.
- Content analytics: Pepper provides detailed analytics to help businesses measure the impact of their content marketing efforts. The platform tracks various metrics such as engagement, traffic, and conversions to help businesses optimize their content strategy and drive better results.
- Content collaboration: Pepper includes collaboration tools to help teams work together on content creation and distribution.
- Content strategy: Pepper offers a range of content strategy resources and tools to help businesses plan, execute, and optimize their content marketing efforts. The platform includes a content calendar, topic ideation tools, and content performance metrics to help businesses stay organized and focused on their goals.
These were nine of the most popular CMS platforms available in the market. It’s important to choose a content marketing platform depending on your specific business requirements and needs. Some of the most common CMS platforms come with various features that are specifically designed for different business needs. So, make sure to choose wisely before you make a purchase. Key Takeaways
- WordPress: The most widely used CMS, with a vast library of plugins and themes available. It is user-friendly and easily customizable for both bloggers and businesses alike.
- Drupal: A robust and powerful CMS that is highly customizable and scalable, making it a popular choice for enterprise-level websites.
- Joomla: A versatile CMS that is easy to use and has a large community of developers, but can be less flexible and customizable than some other options.
- Shopify: A popular CMS specifically designed for e-commerce websites, with a range of features and integrations for online stores.
- Magento: Another CMS focused on e-commerce, with a wide range of customization options and scalability for larger online stores.
- Squarespace: A user-friendly CMS that is popular among small business owners and creatives, with a range of stylish templates and design options.
- Wix: A simple and beginner-friendly CMS that offers drag-and-drop design tools and a range of templates, making it easy to create a website without coding skills.
- Ghost: A CMS designed specifically for bloggers and content creators, with a focus on simplicity and ease of use.
- Weebly: Weebly is a web hosting service that allows users to easily create and publish websites without the need for technical knowledge or coding skills.
- Pepper Content Marketing Platform: With Pepper’s Content Marketing Platform your content, data and SEO teams come together to achieve your marketing goals on time.
A content marketing platform is a software solution that helps businesses manage their content marketing efforts. It typically includes tools for content creation, distribution, analytics, and optimization.
Some popular content marketing platforms include WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Shopify, Magento and Pepper Content Marketing Platform.
The features you should look for in a content marketing platform depend on your specific needs, but some common ones include content creation tools, social media management, email marketing, analytics, and project management.
The cost of a content marketing platform can vary widely depending on the features and level of service you need. Some platforms offer a free plan with limited features, while others can cost thousands of dollars per month.
In this blog, you will find some unconventional content marketing strategies for driving lead generation in 2024.
Boost school visibility with effective content marketing for schools. Stand out online and engage your audience. Learn how!
Discover examples of successful brands that used social media content marketing and get inspired by their strategies.
Get your hands on the latest news!
Content Marketing vs Advertising – Which One is More Effective?
Interactive Content vs. Static Content: Which is More Effective?
Unlocking Success: 4 Case Studies of Successful Content Marketing Campaigns Using a Platform
Content Marketing vs Advertising – Which One is More Effective?