Being a writer has many benefits, but it has its share of challenges as well. Writing content is not an easy job, it requires unique skill sets and expertise. Many of the challenges that content writers face are unforeseen. It takes time and effort to grow as a writer.
However, if as a content creator you already are aware of some of the challenges you could face, it might be easier to be prepared to combat them.
Challenges Faced by Content Writers
Let’s take a look at some of the challenges that content developers face:
One of the most crucial content writing challenges is ensuring readability. There are times when writers get carried away by thoughts and ideas and tend to deviate from the core objective of the content subject.
Sometimes, while demonstrating language proficiency, writers also tend to use complicated language or uncommon phrases, and these might come in the way of the content’s readableness.
2. Writer’s block
A writer’s block or misery block is a situation where writers find it challenging to express their thoughts or feel depressed for not being able to develop relevant, informative and engaging content. This kind of negative feeling often arises out of past failures and criticism.
3. Meeting deadlines
The primary reason behind failing to meet deadlines is an inability to strike a balance between work and personal life. Try to finish writing within the given time frames. That will leave room for other activities in your life thereby helping you balance life and deadlines.
Sometimes writers are provided with tedious writing tasks that need to be completed within a short span of time. Writers not only need to finish an article but also proofread and review it. Therefore, they might end up churning out average content. Not to mention miss deadlines as well.
4. Curtailed content creativity
Restrictions on creativity can also be a challenge for a writer. When a client or a website hires a writer, he or she is expected to deliver content based on their needs. Thus, professional writers sometimes find little scope for creativity and this can be frustrating at times.
How Content Writers Can Overcome Challenges
1. Developing readable content
If you want to enhance the readability of your content, follow these tips:
- Come up with riveting introductions to your copies. Strong opening sentences ensure that readers stay hooked.
- Use proper formatting, short paragraphs, headings, bullet points and appropriate visuals.
- Writers can also opt for content writing courses to hone their writing skills.
- Use easy-to-comprehend language, as if you are conversing with your readers. Conscious word choices and catchy titles should also be used. Avoid being repetitive.
2. Overcoming writer’s block
Every content writer struggles with this challenge. However, what matters is how you deal with it.
- Practice freewriting. It is an eminent way of developing thoughts. A writer should formulate a strategy of prompt writing to amplify writing skills.
- Listen to music
- Walk and spend time in the nature
- Brainstorm ideas
- Build a habit of reading
- Avoiding distractions
- Spend time with people who make you feel good
3. Hacks for not missing deadlines
Missing deadlines is one thing that writers really don’t want to do since it directly impacts their professionalism. Follow these simple steps to avoid missing deadlines:
- Follow your passion and prioritize: Follow your passion and start opting for projects based on what you are passionate about. Also, prioritize. If you have a lot of work assigned, start with the one which is complex and may take time. Classify assignments as per Eisenhower’s Urgent/Important Principle. This means that make a quadrant and assign works under these four headings and go one accordingly: ‘important and urgent’, ‘important but less urgent’, ‘less important and urgent’ and ‘neither important nor urgent’.
- Avoid negativity and be realistic: Chalk out time schedules for writing and maintain them at any cost. Be positive and tell yourself that there’s no reason why you shouldn’t be able to meet deadlines. Banish all negative thoughts or fears about failing to meet deadlines. Just manage your schedule well.
- Stop procrastinating: Beware of procrastination. Identify your procrastinating triggers. For instance, if OTT binge-watching stops you from writing, avoid getting addicted to such services.
Choose writing service platforms that understand your challenges and help you work around them.
4. Blending creativity with SEO
You need to understand what your clients or your audiences want. An effective Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy will help you offer solutions to your audience’s problems. So, while you aim to be creative, do not forget to align your content with SEO objectives.