Table of Contents
- What are Product Descriptions?
- How Important is a Product Description?
- Tips and Tricks of Writing a Good Product Description?
- An Example of a Great Product Description?
- Key Takeaways
- Final Thoughts
While buying any product online, one of the most important aspects that customers look at is the product description. Writing product descriptions are crucial to your business. They should ideally do much more than just present the item in plain text. An effective product description should market the product so that you can convert all your online traffic into paying customers.
Most product descriptions are too plainly written. Writers tend to throw in a few features to make the text look attractive. This strategy may work sometimes, but most of the time, it doesn’t encourage individuals to purchase. However, writing product descriptions is not as hard as it sounds, once you have identified your target audience. The key answer to how to write an effective product description is to address your audience’s pain points and convey how your product would alleviate them.
What are Product Descriptions?
A product description is an advertising strategy to depict an item’s description and benefits to clients. A convincing description gives clients all the information about the product’s highlights, benefits, and uses. It has two purposes:
- To provide all the information about the product and invite potential clients to purchase the product.
- The second point is one of the most critical areas that a lot of content writers struggle with. While the description of the product is significant, it’s similarly vital to utilize this as a chance to convince buyers to purchase your product.
- Writing product descriptions becomes easier, when the professional has an idea of what their audience wants. You won’t alleviate someone’s back pain with delicious candies. Similarly, the unique features of your product would define its target audience. In other words, to answer the question of how to write an effective product description, one has to tap into their audience’s pain points and make sure that the product description solves those problems.
How Important is a Product Description?
When it comes to an eCommerce website, product description is of utmost importance since it leads to conversion of traffic. Practically 87% of clients believe that the description page is a central point in their buying choices, says Salsify. Let’s take the example of Overstock.com that has almost multiplied its traffic and also increased its conversion ratio by writing effective product descriptions, according to a report by contentwriters.com.
Most e-commerce websites get their item descriptions wrong. From inadequately explored purchaser personas to excessively specialized and technical descriptions, the rundown of mistakes is long. However, we have you covered. If you are in a dilemma about how to write an effective product description, or how long should a product description be, you’re in precisely the best place.
Following these tips and tricks, writing product descriptions will be much easier. Your product description must be elegantly composed, develop a connection, and, above all, coax your audience to click on that elusive ‘Add to Cart’ button.
Tips and Tricks of Writing a Good Product Description
1. The 5 Ws
Before sitting down to write your product description, you need to think and answer five questions about your product. It is the most important step in answering how to write an effective product description. The five questions include ‘The 5 Ws’. This fundamental concept of journalism also plays a significant role in the business world. The answers to these questions should form the basis of writing product descriptions.
- What: What is the product? What are its details and benefits? These questions will give you information on the product, such as your item’s traits, highlights, and dimensions. It will also provide details on how it is different from other competitive brands. This will help you in writing product descriptions, which convert customers.
- Who: Who is this item for? Which demographics do they belong to? What are their inclinations? These are the first questions that help you determine who the target audience is and how to attract them to the product. When you know this data, the more qualified you’ll be to portray how your item gives them worth and how it can be helpful to them.
- Why: Why would somebody buy and utilize your item? How can it improve their lives? What issue does it address? You can use the benefits of the product to increase traffic and convert them to sales.
- When: When do your clients utilize your item? Is it a seasonal product? Is it an FMCG product that the customer might use every day? Such questions are essential to give structure to your product description.
- Where: Where might your clients use this item? Is it intended to be used outdoors or indoors? Any unique or clever spots you can utilize this item? Such questions are essential in writing an effective product description.
2. Zero in on emotional needs and practical benefits
When selling a product, you need to remember that individuals don’t purchase items; they purchase sentiments or feelings. What’s more, with regards to effective product descriptions, that assertion holds a great deal of truth.
As a content writer, before writing the product description, ask yourself this question: What problem area does this item solve, or what delight does it give to the customer? Numerous content writers or digital marketers portray the highlights without explicitly depicting the benefits of the product. The answer to how to write an effective product description lies in helping the buyers to identify the particular issues they’re confronting, and giving them a desire to purchase your product.
In Apple’s iPad Mini product description, Apple tries to portray the emotions of control, ease, and empowerment in its product description. Apple likewise also shows the particular issues that the product solves. Like the Apple iPad Mini’s product description, you should also aim to add both emotional aspects and benefits in writing product descriptions.
3. Use descriptive language that paints a picture of the product
One of the most significant disadvantages of e-commerce is that buyers cannot see or feel the tangible product. All they have is the images, product descriptions, and customer reviews to rely on. Multiple studies claim that a person is more likely to buy a product when they can see, touch, and feel it.
This is why content writers and digital marketers are starting to use product descriptions to help buyers imagine the product as if it was right in front of them. Some of them even call it Sensory Marketing Strategy. Sensory marketing is nothing but targeting human senses using words and helping them to imagine the product. This is important to determine how to write an effective product description.
Let’s get a better understanding with an example. Let’s consider that you are trying to sell an outdoor inflatable pool. Instead of just describing the product with the function and features, you need to show that it is a sunny day, and all you need is a pool filled with cool water to relax.
Also, heed the below description of chocolate that explores one’s sensory side.
4. Mention product reviews and awards
You should always keep a part devoted to client reviews on product websites. This can significantly help the online business gain more customers. Numerous guests will not try to scroll down to look at the reviews. Hence, it is best to include these somewhere in the middle of the webpage. This will guarantee you to fabricate trust with most of the individuals that land on your pages.
Here are some types of endorsing content that you can use in writing product descriptions, which are SEO-optimized and address the target audience:
- Celebrity Endorsements
- Extracts from the best client reviews
- Media highlights (particularly logos of famous sites and magazines)
- The number of items sold
- Star ratings
An Example of a Great Product Description
Now that you know some of the crucial aspects of writing a product description let’s look at an example of how to write product descriptions for food products. Here is the product description of Cocoa Dusted Pistachios by Harrods:
When it comes to food products, writing product descriptions can be extremely difficult. Various items – from instant microwave suppers to uncommon thousand-dollar wine – require their unique descriptions. As a rule, it’s suitable to incorporate the accompanying information in a food product description:
- Ingredients: One of the most critical aspects of a food product is the ingredient list. Along with the ingredient list, you should also highlight the product’s nutritional value.
- Taste profile: This is where you need to use words that can help the buyer get the sensory taste of the product. The above example mentions that the product will have a rich and creamy taste since it is covered with smooth milk chocolate.
- Source: When it comes to food products, one of the best ways to show the quality of the product is to mention the place where it is made or from where the raw materials have been sourced.
- Vegetarian or non-vegetarian: Include this data at the start of the page. Individuals who do not eat meat and only follow veganism regularly check for this information on the product description page.
- A product description contains the features and benefits of a product. But, writing product descriptions does not have to be boring and dull.
- In an e-Commerce website, writing an effective product description leads to ultimate conversion of traffic.
- Keep in mind the 5 W’s-What, Who, Why, When, Where, when writing product descriptions.
- The most important answer to how to write an effective product description lies in identifying the target audience and tapping into their feelings. Individuals are more likely to buy feelings, than just a product. Your product description must convey the feelings that an user might have, while using the product.
- Descriptive language is best used in writing an effective product description.
- Always mention reviews and awards in your product description. It makes it authentic and shows that your product is trusted by many people.
Writing a product description is not an easy job. There will consistently be exceptional cases where you will have to spend days to come up with the best content. It would be best to remember that you are not describing the product; instead, you are selling it. It would help if you wrote a product description that focuses more on its benefits and how it helps solve a problem. With the above information, you should be able to produce the best product descriptions. Alternatively, go to Peppertype.ai which is an AI-based service that can help you generate product descriptions in a jiffy.
If you are wondering how to write a product description, let us guide you. How long should a product description be? Writing product descriptions should ideally be completed within 305-400 words. It may be extended beyond the limit as well.
1. Know your target audience
2. Focus on benefits of the product
3. Give the story of your product
4. Use professional tones
5. Use an impactful vocabulary
6. Make it scannable
7. Use brilliant product images
8. Optimize search engines
Writing product descriptions will convert customers, when you think from their perspective. This is why most marketing professionals insist on creating a customer persona so that they can market the features and benefits of your product keeping them in mind.
1. Answer crucial questions
2. Keep your audience in mind while writing
3. Concentrate on benefits
4. Master the art of storytelling
5. Make it readable with bullet points and breaking down content
6. Optimize with keywords
7. Use relevant graphics and visuals
The most effective product descriptions are succinct and draw the attention of its viewers. Use a brief description paragraph to showcase the benefits of your product. Put in bulleted lists of product features and their benefits. Include significant technical details as well. Close with a call to action.
If you are wondering how long a product description should be, or how to write an effective product description, follow these tips.
Describe your target audience
Define your edge over your competitors
Explain the greatest perk of your product
Put it together with a CTA
The best way to nail your target audience is to create a user persona. Try to envision the kind of users you want to sell your product to, or the kind of persons your product would benefit from. Try interviewing potential clients. Market research is also very effective. It means to conduct a SWOT analysis of your business and figuring out its opportunities and weaknesses. After identifying your primary audience, there comes the question of marketing your product to them. Writing product descriptions is of utmost importance.
Discover examples of successful brands that used social media content marketing and get inspired by their strategies.
In this blog, check out how the SMART content marketing framework helps modify and adapt to your audience’s preferences and needs.
In this blog, learn about how you can transform your content marketing and storytelling with serialized content.
Get your hands on the latest news!
Are Search Engines Penalizing AI-Created Content?
Taking Writing to the Next Level with Peppertype.ai and GPT-3’s Text-Davinci-003