Table of Contents
- Why Are How-To Articles Important?
- 4 Tips on How to Write a Tutorial
- Key Takeaways
We are living in an age where people seek any kind of information online rather than diving into books or asking other people. Fortunately, for us, the online space offers knowledge about everything and anything. This has led to a dramatic expansion of the content writing space, covering all areas. The most direct way of presenting information is in the form of how-to articles and tutorials. In this blog, we teach you how to write a how-to article.
Why Are How-To Articles Important?
A how-to article is a way of teaching a process or task by providing step-by-step instructions. These are usually explained in simple terms so that anybody can understand them in one go. How-to articles can be a great and easily accessible source of learning for all age groups. They offer a number of benefits, some of which are discussed below.
1. Independent learning
How-to tutorials give you the ability to teach yourself anytime and anywhere. You can learn fairly simple to most complicated tasks through these guides in a short period of time.
2. Easy to understand
Most people find it easier and more convenient to learn to accomplish a task through simple, clear instructions. Fortunately, for pretty much anything, a tutorial exists online, and you can learn at your own pace.
3. Excellent marketing tool
How-to articles are great to promote any brand’s products or services. The business can craft how-to articles that provide information on how to use their products. A strong call-to-action (CTA) can be provided at the end of the article. Such informative articles have more impact on customers.
4 Tips on How to Write a Tutorial
If you are just starting out in tutorial writing, it can be a little challenging, even if you are an expert in the area. You might have many questions about what to include, what to leave out, where to start, and so on.
This article itself is a sample of a how-to article, as it provides you with tips on how to write a tutorial. There is no set format for it, and you can use your own style in delivering or writing such a piece of information. However, there are certain essential things you should keep in mind when learning how to write a how-to article, in order to have the maximum impact on your audiences. These points apply to all kinds of tutorials, irrespective of the topic and type of audience.
1. Mind the structure
You should always start by explaining to the readers what they can expect from your tutorial. Clearly state which issues you will address and what sequence you will follow in order to explain the topic. This helps the readers decide whether they can get any value out of it and should continue till the end.
Break down the lesson into subheadings, which precisely state what specific problem they are dealing with. Frame the whole tutorial in a way that offers the most natural learning flow to the readers. This keeps them engaged and motivated to pursue your tutorial.
2. Prioritize your audience
A key tutorial writing tip is to center your content on your readers. The primary goal of your tutorial is to make the readers understand how to accomplish a certain task. For this, you need to start where the reader is. Remember the challenges you may have faced while learning how to write a how-to article for the first time and try to address those in particular.
To write the best possible tutorial, you need to understand the readers’ psychology and anticipate the doubts they might have. You have to put yourself in the reader’s shoes. This comes with practice, experience, and implementing feedback from your audiences.
3. Pay attention to the style
Your expertise in a topic is not enough to impart the same understanding and clarity to the readers. The impact of your tutorial will largely depend on the way you convey your lessons to your readers. While writing styles can vary from one individual to another, there are certain pointers to be followed to make your tutorial effective.
- Write clear and precise sentences. Don’t go for long sentences, and avoid complicated words.
- The keywords must be explained. Make sure to break down complex phrases and concepts into simple bits of information.
- Follow standard formatting rules like using bold or italics to bring the reader’s attention to an important concept. Use inline coding to refer to a symbol or expression.
- Avoid using technical terms, and if they are unavoidable, explain them first. Your reader base comprises people having different levels of understanding.
- Welcome and incorporate feedback wherever possible.
The best way to explain any concept is through examples. Try to support your lesson through concrete examples and illustrations. Use simple images to show the steps involved or the final result. Label the images for easy reference.
4. Seek feedback and edit
This is one of the most important tutorials writing tips. If you want to improve your tutorial writing skills and grow as a writer, the most significant thing is to seek critical feedback and incorporate it with utter seriousness in your work. Before finalizing the tutorial, test it on your friends or colleagues, and see if they understand it. Seek their opinions and ask them questions. Edit your work accordingly, to further simplify and clarify the lesson.
- How-to tutorials can be a great way to learn anything, anywhere, and at your own pace, since they are easy to consume. These tutorials are easy to find, short, and to the point. Such tutorials are also used by companies to market their product and services to customers and build brand credibility.
- Divide the whole lesson into subheadings and maintain a natural learning flow for the readers. Start by giving a brief overview of what all could be expected from the lesson. Write in simple language and don’t digress from the topic.
- While writing a tutorial, keep in mind the audience for whom you are writing. Always write from the level of understanding of the reader.
- Your writing style has a huge impact on the understanding of a reader. Write direct and short sentences. Follow formatting practices and highlight words or phrases where more focus is required.
- Incorporate practical examples and simple images to explain any concept or the steps to be followed.
- Seek constructive feedback from your friends and readers to further refine your work. After writing, make a few people read your tutorial to see if they grasp it.
Tutorial writing can be daunting at first. But remember a basic principle that no matter how much you know about the topic at hand, always write in layman’s terms. This will make your tutorials understandable for a wider reader base. While you’re at it, don’t forget to read the above tips on how to write a how-to article.
Follow these five tutorial writing tips.
– Structure your content properly.
– Understand your audience.
– Use simple language to explain concepts.
– Use examples and images.
– Seek critical feedback and improve your work.
Using direct sentences, explaining technical terms before using them, explaining the concept with the help of relevant examples and images, and incorporating constructive feedback are some ways to make your tutorial great.
Tutorials should not be too lengthy. They should just address the topic at hand and not digress to anything unnecessary. Conciseness is a key tutorial writing tip to be followed.
When it comes to online mediums, you can publish how-to articles on your blog, LinkedIn, and online forums and communities.