Table of Contents
- What Is Copywriting?
- The Purpose Of Copywriting
- Who Hires Copywriters?
- Basic Copywriting Skills
- The Best Paid And Free Copywriting Courses
- Key Takeaways
Are you looking to learn copywriting that can help boost action, retention, and engagement? If yes, then you’re in the right place. In this blog, we’ll tell you everything about copywriting, including the best copywriting courses that you can’t miss at all.
Here, you’ll find a list of different paid and free copywriting courses that are perfect for beginners and will teach you everything you need to know about copywriting. Many of these courses are taught by experienced industry professionals. So, let’s get started.
What Is Copywriting?
Copywriting is the occupation or process of writing promotional or persuasive marketing materials that help to motivate people or your audience to take some kind of action like clicking on a link, making a purchase, or scheduling a consultation. These written materials may include promotional content, scripts, or commercials. The written text is called copy; hence, the term is copywriting.
The Purpose of Copywriting
Copywriting is a very critical element in advertising and marketing. Using their copywriting skills, copywriters use spoken or written words to entice people to take some form of action after hearing or reading the copy. It’s like a call-to-action but used in a much more powerful manner. The primary purpose of copywriting is to try and attract people to convert them into customers.
If a brand is looking to sell its services or products, it needs to present itself in a certain way so that consumers become curious enough to experience what it has to offer. Businesses must also be cautious about what they write in their copy since certain information can be sensitive. Copywriting material that is too pushy can lead to customers never taking action or purchasing anything at all.
For example, our emails are constantly flooded with ads and commercials, so much so that we barely notice them. Hence, brands need to present their material in the best way possible to stand out from the rest. Your copywriting should not only be on email but also have a mix of other media such as brochures, infographics, billboards, banners, marketing using social media, etc. The best copywriting courses will show you exactly how to make your copies presentable.
Who Hires Copywriters?
Big businesses and corporations greatly benefit when they hire copywriters to take care of all their promotional material. Today, freelance copywriting jobs are becoming popular, and most organizations and companies like to hire freelance copywriters to help them with their marketing strategies. With the freelance market growing fast, there are plenty of freelance copywriter jobs available for the ones looking to make a career in copywriting. According to statistics, the number of freelancers in the US grew to 57 million from 52 million from 2014 to 2019.
1. Basic Copywriting Skills
With several free copywriting courses available online, you’ll be able to master the art of copywriting in no time. You do not need any formal qualifications to be a copywriter. However, you do need some skills to be able to do the job well. Here are a few basic skills you need to become a copywriter.
2. Language skills
Language skills are critical if you’re looking to make a career in copywriting because you will not be able to write impressive copies without them. Clients who hire copywriters expect them to have the basic knowledge of English or any alternate, local language skills that include correct sentence structure, comma usage, word choice, etc. You need to properly understand grammar, punctuation, and spellings to succeed as a copywriter.
3. Vast vocabulary
Having a vast vocabulary is necessary for writing any copywriting material. It’s helpful to have a list of words that you can choose from to make your copy different and unique.
4. Eye for detail
You must have an eye for detail to spot errors in your work. You need to be your own copy editor and proofreader. You must ensure that all copies sent out to the clients must be error-free.
5. Research skills
This is another vital skill you must master before you become a copywriter. The free copywriting courses online will teach you how to do this like a pro. You must be able to do your research well using the Internet. When you have excellent research skills, it makes the whole process easier and quicker. Research helps you ask the right questions to understand the services and products well enough to sell them effectively.
6. Great listening skills
For copywriters to write compelling copy, they need to listen to their clients carefully. Without proper listening skills, you will not be able to provide the client with what they need. They will give you a brief and instructions that you must follow. So, excellent listening skills play a significant role in copywriting.
With the freelance copywriting industry growing, it also means that there will be a lot of competition in this industry, with more people seeking a writing career. So, you must have all the proper skills to stay on top of the competition. You must have a range of different writing skills such as marketing campaigns, website content, journal writing, ghostwriting, etc. Copywriting courses online will explain in detail everything you need to know about copywriting. So, make sure to enroll in the best courses for copywriting that ensure success.
The Best Paid and Free Copywriting Courses
1. Skillshare – Copywriting Basics For Successful Sales
The first course on this list of copywriting courses is Skillshare’s Copywriting Basics for Successful Sales. It’s a one-month free trial course that gives its users access to 29,000+ simply fantastic classes. You also get downloadable resources that are very helpful, and you can choose to cancel the subscription anytime. This beginner-level course gives users an overview of copywriting while also teaching them the ideas and techniques to make high-quality copies.
Master your copywriting skills with the course teacher Jack Zerby – an entrepreneur and founder of DOHQ and DoneForYouDecks. The 75-minute class will take you through the history of sales letters and teach you how to create engaging headlines, identify audiences, and harness popular writing formulas. With this course, you can improve your copywriting skills by practicing writing every day. It is one of the best copywriting courses to learn the tactics, writing frameworks, and copywriting principles.
Here’s the course curriculum,
- Intro to Copywriting
- The Market and Audience
- Popular Frameworks and Principles
- Headlines and Copy
- Advice on Length and Practice
2. Masterclass – Malcolm Gladwell Teaches Writing
This course has to be on the list of best courses for copywriting. Taught by Malcolm Gladwell – storyteller and best-selling author of Blink and The Tipping Point – the course is designed to help you grasp complex ideas like performance prediction and behavioral economics. The course is perfect for all levels of copywriting. The course has 23 video lessons that run for about 4 hours and 54 minutes. It has a free trial that you can take up to see if the course meets your needs or not.
The lesson plan is as follows:
- Structuring Narrative: The Imperfect Puzzle
- Holding Readers: Tools for Engagement
- Holding Readers: Controlling Information
- Selecting the Story
- Developing the Story
- Developing the Story: Analogous Worlds
- Characters: Descriptions
- Characters: World Building
- Character Case Study: ‘The Pitchman’
- Structuring Language
- Tone and Voice
- Humor and Melancholy
- Case Study: Language and Emotion ‘Something Borrowed’
- Drafts and Revisions
- When Your Story Enters the World
- Working as a Writer
- How to Read
- Who to Read
- Conclusion: A Theory of Other Minds
3. Udemy – The Complete Copywriting Course: Write to Sell Like a Pro
The next one on this list of the best copywriting courses is a fantastic beginner course from Udemy. It’s great for those who have tried their hand at copywriting but aren’t getting their expected results. The course includes 3 hours of on-demand videos, 6 articles, 20 downloadable resources, full lifetime access, access on mobile and TV, and certification of completion. The course provides learners with proven formulas and techniques to apply to their businesses, eCommerce stores, blogs, etc.
Created by Codestars Rob Percival and Tamsin Henderson, with the course you’ll learn the following:
- How to sell more products and services
- How to gently and ethically stoke people to act NOW
- Hacks and secrets from the world’s most successful copywriters
- How to compel your readers using timeless sales psychology
- How to eliminate ‘stage fright’ and ‘blank page anxiety’
- The sales psychology you NEED to grow a profitable business
4. Skillshare – Copywriting For Beginners: How To Write Web Copy That Sells
This copywriting course helps you write the perfect copy. Businesses find it hard to get through to their audience in this day and age of infinite scrolling and instant gratification. Through this exceptional copywriting course designed for beginners, you will learn how to write web copy that sells. The course is taught by Jesse Forrest, founder, and chief copywriter at Start Copywriting.com. The 60-minute class is delivered in the form of 16 short video lessons where you’ll learn how to write professional copy and turn website visitors into leads, sales, and customers.
Here’s what the course curriculum consists of,
- Copywriting 101
- How to Write Headlines
- Read Your Audience’s Minds
- Speak Their Language
- Fill-in-the-blanks Templates
- Stand Out with Competitive Advantages
- Content Writing vs. Copywriting
- Turn Boring Features into Irresistible Benefits
- 3 Ways to Overcome Writer’s Block
5. Udemy – Copywriting Secrets – How to Write Copy That Sells
This is another fantastic course by Udemy designed for both beginners and professionals. Created by Sean Kaye and Len Smith, the course runs for 3 hours and has 43 downloadable resources. Users also get full lifetime access and a certificate of completion. The course covers ad copywriting and the basics of sales. You’ll also learn B2B copywriting techniques and tools.
Here’s a detailed list of what you’ll learn when you enroll in this course:
- Write Compelling Sales Copy
- Apply The Power Of Emotional Drivers, Even When Writing In A B2b Environment
- Beat Run-Of-The-Mill Writers Who Focus On Needs
- Understand How To Leverage Benefits, Features, And Advantages
- Craft Professional Press Releases That Get Published
- Know-How To Become A Voice In Their Industry
- Understand How To Schmooze Bloggers And The Press To Get Published
- Interview End Customers With The Confidence To Create Persuasive Case Studies
- Use The Power Of Words To Generate More Sales Leads
- Learn From A Wealth Of Real-Life Examples
- Master White Papers – The Most Powerful Way To Generate Sales Leads
Copywriting courses like these have been created in the best way possible to give all the necessary training, techniques, and tools to produce outstanding writing copy for your clients.
6. Udemy – 30 Copywriting Secrets from the Best Ad Campaign of All Time
Udemy has some of the best copywriting courses designed to make you a professional at copywriting. Through this course, you can learn how to write compelling copy by studying print advertisements closely. Created by award-winning copywriter Alan Sharpe, the course includes 2.5 hours of on-demand video, 111 downloadable resources, full lifetime access, access on mobile and TV, assignments, and a certificate of completion. The course is designed for anybody looking to learn copywriting by learning tips from the most successful print advertising campaign in history.
Here’s what to expect from this course:
- Write headlines that grab attention
- Write headlines that compel prospects to read the body copy
- Write headlines that work with visuals
- Write opening lines that compel readers to read the rest of the ad
- Use irony to grab attention
- Follow a simple, step-by-step formula for writing body copy
- Build trust with body copy
- Find and write unusual testimonials
- Write effective endings to a sales message
- Write copy that keeps readers reading right to the end
7. Skillshare – Web Design and Copywriting
Offered by Skillshare, this course is taught by Jack Zerby, founder of DOHQ and DoneForYouDecks.com. The course consists of 13 lessons that each include one-hour long on-demand videos with different modules. It’s a beginner-level course that teaches you everything about landing pages for websites with downloadable resources and class projects. If you’re looking out for the best courses for copywriting, then this course is designed to give you all the necessary information you need about web design and copywriting.
Here’s what the course curriculum will look like,
- Intro: Why Are Landing Pages Important
- Important Elements of a Landing Page
- Call To Action
- Features and Benefits
- Social Proof
- Risk Reversal
- Frequently Asked Question
- Rule of Three
- Visual Hierarchy
- Passive and Action Colors
- AIDA – Attention, Interest, Desire, Action
8. LinkedIn Learning – Marketing Copywriting Course
Are you looking for the best copywriting courses that add value? Try the LinkedIn Learning Marketing Copywriting Course that gives you a detailed understanding of copywriting and the industry. Ian Lurie, the instructor, will train you to write outstanding copy that helps convey the right message and sells products. Through this 1-hour course, you will be able to learn the different types of copywriting that is used for marketing purposes. You will also get a chance to learn the benefits of drafting and how to optimize your content effectively. You get hands-on training with quizzes and exercises that are very helpful to master the art of copywriting.
Here’s what you will get from this course,
- Creating drafts, writing, rewriting copy, and testing deadlines
- Managing a copyediting team, and editorial calendar
- Structure print copy vs. online delivery
- Use of typography
- Assignments that allow you to practice all the concepts that are covered in the course.
9. Unbounce – The Unbounce Landing Page Course
This is another great landing page course that is perfect for those looking to make people stay on their website without bouncing or leaving. With the Unbounce Landing Page Course, you will learn how to grab attention while you keep engaging them till they finally do what you want them to do. In this beginner-level course, Oli Gardner, a landing page expert, will show you how to create high-converting landing pages that make a difference. It’s a self-paced course with helpful downloadable resources.
The course includes the following:
- Landing Page Fundamentals
- Page Elements and Architecture
- Call to Action Design
- Lead Capture Forms
- Landing Page Copywriting
- The Landing Page Sessions
- Landing Page Design
10. Skillshare – Writing Crystal Clear Copy: Copywriting Basics for Beginners
Some of the best courses for copywriting can be found online designed for both beginners and professionals. Enroll in this copywriting course that gives you all the best information you need for writing exceptional copy for your clients. Taught by Ruth Clowes, a professional copywriter, the course consists of 12 lessons that are easy to understand. Although the course is short, it does provide learners with actionable and valuable information that covers various topics on using active voice, how to use the right words, how to polish a copy, and how to be straight and direct with your customers. The course comes with a 1-month free trial, so you can check and see if the course is perfect for you.
Here’s a list of the lessons in this course,
- Know Your Reader
- Short, Sharp Sentences
- The Active Voice
- Trash the Adverbs
- You and I
- Find the Right Words
- Don’t Nominalize
- Be Direct
- Polish Your Copy
- Tips, Tricks, and Tools
- Next Steps
This course is perfect for those looking to write persuasive, clear copy but often struggle to put out the right message. Once you’ve completed this course, you’ll be able to polish your copy until you find that it’s crystal clear. With this course, you get access to downloadable resources, discussions, and projects to master copywriting skills.
11. CXL – Quick Course On Effective Website Copywriting
This course by CXL is designed for all levels. It’s a smart, self-paced instructional course that is taught by a team of experienced marketing professionals. The course covers different topics such as draft copy, outline, research, guideposts, revise, test, and conversion boost. With this course, you can access downloadable resources, free marketing courses, and digital certifications. If you’re looking out for a quick, power-packed course, then this one is definitely for you. Make sure always to take a free trial of copywriting courses whenever they are offered before you enroll for them.
12. The Creative Circus – Copywriting Portfolio School
There is always a significant difference between ad copy and general writing. Ad copy is used to motivate and captivate the reader. If you are struggling with copywriting or looking to learn more about copywriting, then this course is for you. The initial topics will teach you about strategies, creativity, and effective communication. The course is taught by experienced advertising professionals who give you a good understanding of copywriting. This self-paced instructional course covers topics like the first draft, last-minute changes, revisions, and, finally, how to polish your ad copy. With the Creative Circus Copywriting Portfolio course, you get access to downloadable resources and a certificate of completion.
13. Honeycopy – Copywriting Course
This is a smart copywriting course designed to help you write exceptional copy that will increase your sales. Developed by business professionals who love to share their knowledge with others, the course is perfect for all levels. Anyone looking to do a copywriting course can pick the Honeycopy Copywriting Course to perfect their copywriting skills. The subtitle of the course is “How to write words that sell like a Florida Snow Cone Vendor on the hottest day of the year,” which will show you precisely what you need to do to succeed in copywriting. The course is a self-paced learning course that includes topics like crafting better sentences, writing killer headlines, eliminating cliches, writing for clarity, and creating the perfect voice for your brand. This course gives you access to downloadable resources, class projects, newsletters, and lifetime access to course materials.
So, these were some of the best paid and free copywriting courses that are great for all levels of copywriting. So, whether you are a beginner or a professional, you can find a wide variety of excellent copywriting courses online. Many of the best copywriting courses come with free trials that give users a chance to get a feel of what the course is all about. So, always make sure to use the free trials and get a proper understanding of each course you would like to enroll in. Apart from these copywriting courses, you can also find many other writing courses that will help you polish up your writing and language skills to improve yourself in this area. If you would like to brush up on your other writing skills, then you can always take up a copywriting course and other writing skills courses to improve yourself.
- Copywriting is the process or act of writing unique content that helps sell services or products in the best way possible.
- Copywriting uses clever words and vocabulary that entices people to take action like subscribing or making a purchase.
- With the freelance market growing, many people are looking to take up copywriting as a freelance career. Hence, it’s essential to master copywriting and continuously upgrade your skills to stay on top of the competition.
- Companies and businesses are constantly looking to market their products and services in the best way possible. So, the search for great copywriters is always on. Today, a career in copywriting proves to be very fruitful as more and more companies are searching for skillful copywriters to help them with their marketing strategies.
- You have a list of the best paid and free copywriting courses that you can enroll in to learn how to write exceptional copies for your clients. Each course mentioned gives you its key features and what makes it a good course for copywriters.
- You also now know why you must enroll in these free copywriting courses online.
- Each copywriting course has its curriculum and modules, so it’s always better to check what each course offers before enrolling. Some courses also have free trials, so users must use the free trials to ensure they get the best out of the courses.
Yes, but it depends on which copywriting course you enroll in. There are plenty of copywriting courses online that have different levels and curriculum. All courses are not created equal, so it depends on which one you choose. If you go in for a copywriting course that gives you a detailed understanding of copywriting, then yes, it’s worth it.
To become a copywriter, you do not require any qualifications. Still, if you’re looking to take it up as a full-time career, you can do a Bachelor’s degree in writing, advertising, and marketing. To become a copywriter, you need to have good communication skills, writing skills, language skills, creativity, research skills, and knowledge of sales and marketing.
Learning essential copywriting skills can take anywhere from three to six months. However, you still need to continuously practice and learn new things to improve and stay on top. Many things can affect the learning time. Most courses online allow you to finish the course at your own pace, so it depends on each person.
Any career you choose, you start with no experience. In the same way, you can learn freelance copywriting on your own. You do not require any degrees to become a freelance copywriter. You can simply enroll in some free copywriting courses online that will teach you everything about copywriting. Ensure you have the basic skills you require and master them on the job.
Profitable copywriting niches are cryptocurrency, finance, digital marketing, technology writing, SaaS, education, real estate, and health. However, if you’re a good copywriter that can deliver, then niches do not matter. Businesses are ready to pay copywriters good money if they can do their job well.