You cannot be formulaic when it comes to content writing because blogging about the same topic can get monotonous and create apathy among your readers. You need to constantly reinvent yourself and be on the lookout for interesting themes and hot takes on which you can give your own two cents. But this is easier said than done.
Content writing is not a cakewalk. You have to constantly come up with some of the best topics for content writing that will resonate with your target audiences. You cannot be formulaic when it comes to content writing because blogging about the same topic can get monotonous and create apathy among your readers. You need to constantly reinvent yourself and be on the lookout for interesting themes and hot takes on which you can give your own two cents. But this is easier said than done.
No one can escape writer’s block, not even a seasoned content writing expert, which is why we have come up with a list of 20 great topic ideas so that your content writing well never runs dry. Let’s dive in:
In this age of misinformation and fake news, being the source of truth can score you a lot of brownie points with your readers. Debunking myths and fact-checking is a great way to add value to your readers’ lives. For instance, if your niche is content marketing, you can bust content marketing myths and win the goodwill of your audience.
2. Tips and tricks
Tips and tricks are probably as old as the content writing industry itself because someone will always need a quicker way to do things – be it cracking Facebook ads or baking delicious cakes. This is an evergreen content type because no industry is static so that you can publish new tips and tricks EVERY year depending on the changing trends and paradigm shifts in your space.
Laundry lists are extremely popular and one of the most easy-to-consume content types out there (heck, even this blog is one). It sets the reader’s expectations about exactly what they will be getting from the article and gives them multiple options to consider.
What better topic to write about than one that is already in the news. Trends make for great reading because people are already talking about it, so you’ve already crossed that initial interest barrier. Here is how to spot upcoming trends and stay relevant – 8 Ways to Find Trending Topics and Keywords.
5. Hacks and trade secrets
You might think this is the same as ‘tips and tricks’, and you wouldn’t be way off the mark. Hacks or trade secrets are helpful pointers you get from someone who has deep domain expertise in the field. For example, you can invite experts to share their opinions and insights on a particular topic and compile it into a comprehensive blog.
A year-in-review for a particular niche is a great way to summarize the top happenings of the last year and prepare your readers on what to expect in the coming year. Mary Meeker’s annual ‘State of the internet’ report is a great example of year-end summaries done right.
7. A vs. B vs. C
Being confused between multiple choices is more commonplace than you think, which is why comparison posts are one of the most sought-after ways to address readers’ dilemmas. You can make an honest comparison of your service vis-a-vis competitors. Not only is this great for SEO, but it also solves customer queries elegantly.
As a brand, you should publish numerous how-to guides, giving your customers step-by-step assistance on using specific features. This is a great content format because it tackles customers’ search intent directly, no beating around the bush, a straightforward tutorial on how to get the job done.
Troubleshooting guides are an SEO marketer’s dream because they almost always guarantee high click-throughs. People face a problem and are actively looking for a solution to that problem. So if you include both in the title of your blog, it is a surefire way of racking up a lot of views – [Fix] Windows 10 Does Not Show Available Wi-Fi Networks (SSID)
Craft an in-depth article reviewing the different tools used in your industry or for a particular use-case, for example – 33 Best Email Tracking Softwares & Tools To Use in 2021. This helpful, impartial content format is not overtly promotional but can supercharge your product discovery.
11. Industry news
Provide opinion pieces, and hot takes to your readers about major highlights in your industry. M.G Siegler provides illuminating commentary on tech, business news, and culture through his publication – 500ish
People love to read and discuss contrarian viewpoints. If you have an idea or opinion that polarises people or forces them to take it aside, it can create a buzz in your community. Jason Fried is a master of this format, triggering conversations about unpopular opinions and unconventional concepts.
Suppose you’re good at something, just blog about it. People love to read about entrepreneurial journeys (the good and the bad) or how someone reached the top of the pyramid. So once you do, don’t hesitate to condense all the wisdom you gained and the bittersweet experiences into an engaging blog/blog series.
14. SEO content
Let your users tell you what to write about. Check Google Webmaster Tools to understand what search terms redirect your website and create content pieces around them. Focus on both long-tail as well as short-tail keywords.
15. Repurpose content
Rehashing existing content is an effective way to widen the coverage of your most popular pieces. You can turn blogs into infographics, videos, and Slideshares to introduce your content to new audiences and maximize its reach. Here’s a primer on content republishing best practices – 7 Amazing Tips to Help You Repurpose Your Content.
16. Season’s greetings
Run promotional campaigns on special days of the year like Christmas, Diwali, Valentine’s Day, April Fool’s, and more. Organize contests, host giveaways, and describe the terms and rules of each through your blog. Publish the list of winners once the promotion ends.
Readers love to know more about the people behind the corporate entity, key figures running the show. Conduct an informal tete-a-tete with your team members, say on the occasion of Women’s Day or talk about the work culture and working styles. It humanizes your brand and makes you more approachable.
18. Case studies
Case studies are an excellent method to put your best foot forward. Through case studies, you can exhibit brand reliability and win the trust of your prospective customers. It’s a brilliant lead conversion tactic as leads can put themselves in the shoes of their existing customers and relate to the problem better.
Not all blog topics need to be serious. You can mix it up by writing a satirical or humorous version of a boring cliche. Sarah Cooper’s hilarious article on 10 Tricks to Appear Smart During Meetings is a clever example of how you can keep the theme light and breezy and establish a fun relationship with your audience.
20. Guest posts
If you’ve exhausted all the above outlets and you’ve reached your creative limits, outsource your content writing to reputable bloggers in your space. They might offer fresh takes and unbiased thoughts on topics that matter.
Topic ideas to whirr your creative wheels
Are you consistent with your writing and still not able to get engagement on your articles? Are you not able to get good SE rankings even after optimizing your content? What you need is an engaging, interesting topic idea to keep the audience glued to your article.
When it comes to content writing, we all know that content is king. However, we often forget that engagement is king, and that’s why it is very important to choose your topics wisely before you start writing. If you are a beginner and want to excel in content writing, it is very important to understand what the audience wants to read.
Whether an informative or promotional article/blog, choosing the right topic is paramount for any writer. These days, amidst the busy metropolitan lives, we all want everything to be quick. A quick read, a quick ad. To get engagement for the audience, you have to tell them what they will get from reading your blog. This is where the topic plays a major role. If it will be appealing, the readers will read for pleasure. If it is informative, they will read it for knowledge. But for them to read the content, they first need to like the topic.
If you are a beginner in the content writing field, these topic ideas can help you build your online presence and help your article get more exposure:
- Food: Times and trends come and go, but one thing that remains constant is our love for food. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, we searched for new restaurants with great music and an amazing ambiance. After that, we have been searching for food outlets and cloud kitchens to send delicious food to our doorsteps. Food as a topic will always be in trends. Write about food—from old recipes to new eateries in town, just gather all the interesting information you can and write articles about food.
- Lifestyle: With the world on social media, everyone wants to read more about lifestyle. What habits to adapt, what habits to let go of. Write about how people dream of living and help them with your expert tips.
- Entertainment: With so much chaos in the world, everyone needs to entertain them via movies, web series, and TV shows. With the OTT fever, almost everyone wants to know about what new series is launching on Netflix. Write about cinema, build your loyal audience.
- Books: One of the most interesting topics to cover for a content writer—books. From book reviews to information about George RR Martin’s new book, write about everything.
- Travel: Everyone has goals and bucket lists that are all about traveling to mesmerizing places. Tell those travelers about the roads less traveled through your research and articles. Tell them about undiscovered destinations.
- Physical health: Health is the true wealth, and almost everyone keeps looking out for tips regarding their physical health and how to stay fit. People get easily engaged and attracted to such articles, give them lots of content.
- Fashion: Every person on Instagram is an influencer, and that’s why everyone wants to know about the latest fashion trends.
- Marketing: The world has transformed drastically with the digital shift, and hence marketing remains one of the top 5 topics on the Internet. Choose this topic and write informative content for your audience.
- Bollywood: Who doesn’t like a little bit of grapevine? With such hectic lives, everyone likes some Bollywood masala. Give them the latest updates about the most talked-about Bollywood celebs!
- Career advice: Career counseling is a topic that has always been constant. With everyone looking for their dream job, people are eager to get good career advice to drive their career growth.
- Astrology: Everyone wants to read about this cultural phenomenon.
- Business ideas: At some point, everyone thinks about starting a business of their own. Give your audience good business ideas for kick-starting their dream.
- Art blogs: Art is loved and appreciated by one and all. Write about the best art galleries, seminars, and online exhibitions.
- Unknown facts: We are all inquisitive creatures and always want to know what we don’t know. Telling people about unknown facts through your articles is a good way to gain traction.
- National heritage: History, monuments, facts about our country.
- Tips and Tricks: How to fix your TV at home or how to make a dress out of your mom’s saree, such topics work really well for engagement and attraction.
- Tech: Tech is driving the world these days. Talk about the latest innovations through your articles/
- Sports: Be it cricket or football, everyone is interested in this topic. Give them some interesting information.
- Politics: Another constant and interesting topic—from the new cabinet minister to the latest campaigns of the opposition, people are hungry for political news.
- Mental Health: It is now in 2021 that people are finally opening up and talking about the importance of mental health. In this new era, it is one of the best topics to write upon.
We hope this comprehensive guide has removed the creative rust and whirred the wheels of your mind into action. So the next time you suffer from writing paralysis, come back to this blog for your dose of content writing inspiration.
Tricks to choose the best topics for blog writing:
Search for top trending topics
Select an evergreen topic
Give solutions to problems
Top topics to write a blog/article on:
5 books everyone should read
Best places to visit in the world
Quick ways to make money
Why should you start blogging
Reasons you can choose content writing as a career:
Make money with freelancing
Become more knowledgeable about various topics
Explore your creative side
Get more sales/promotions for your products
Optimizing content with keywords to reach the top of search engines is called SEO writing.
You can study these courses to become a content writer:
BJ & MC